Imitators versus Initiators

Dr. Robert Cialdini, a professor of Psychology and Marketing at Arizona State University, as well as the author of Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion, learned while conducting research for the book, that about 95% of the population are what we could call “imitators”, and the remaining 5% are what we could call “initiators”.

Imitators are generally those that are easily influenced by people or things around them. These people will rarely act on their own ideas, and will simply follow others. Such as, if you leave a shopping cart in the parking lot, instead of returning it to a cart bin because others have left carts in the parking lot as well.

Initiators are generally those that pursue their own ideas and actions, rather than letting outside influences deter them from their own plan. Unlike imitators, once an initiator has their mind set on something, nothing will stop them from achieving their goals.

Consequently, this is exactly why most people end up breaking their New Year’s resolutions; it’s not due to their goals being too difficult to achieve, but because most will not initiate a continued system for success towards that goal. In 2007, a survey conducted by FranklinCovey found that 35% of people broke their New Year’s resolutions by the end of January, while only 23% never broke them at all!

During the course of this ongoing pandemic, while most restaurants have closed their doors, Chick-fil-A has unbelievably opened a total of 136 stores! Chick-fil-A has also started selling their signature sauces in select grocery stores throughout the country. However, this is not just a coincidence of circumstance or luck, but the direct result of initiators taking action in the fast-food industry!

On behalf of everyone here at Pinecrest Practice Growth, we hope that you have a great year in your practice, and encourage you to continue to initiate exemplary services and care, while being initiators in your personal lives as well!

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: